Tuesday, November 3, 2020

My TV Review of "The Queen's Gambit"

Yesterday I finished viewing the final episode of the Netflix limited series The Queen's Gambit, based on the novel by Walter Tevis [pictured].

Starring as Beth Harmon, Anya Taylor-Joy was literally a joy, completely devoted to chess and not distracted by politics although she did have problems with tranquilizers and alcohol.

Thomas Brodie-Sangster gave a fine performance as Benny Watts, reminding me of many such characters that I have met in the chess world throughout the years.

As a music fan, I enjoyed listening to televised performances by The Vogues ("You're the One") and Shocking Blue ("Venus").

Two brilliant miniatures involving queen sacrifices that I recognized were famous games played, in order of appearance, by Richard Reti and Paul Morphy.

Watching The Queen's Gambit made me realize how much I miss playing in chess tournaments, now that the pandemic has indefinitely suspended "offline" chess.