Saturday, May 10, 2008

E-mail from "Diamondback"

On Thursday, I received this e-mail from Diamondback:

Subject: Greg Nolan's Upset
Mr. West:
Can you please post on your chess blog the upset win of Greg Nolan over Leroy Dubeck that took place at the recent Asian American Chess Classic? I am curious what decisive advantage took place during that game and if Leroy Dubeck had some type of counterplay to prevent his loss.
Thank you.


Sorry, I do not have the score of Dubeck-Nolan, Asian American Chess Classic 2008. But when I snapped my photo of their endgame, I noticed that material was even, with both players having three pawns and two minor pieces.


Unfortunately for Dubeck, he had these disadvantages: (1) Nolan had a bishop and knight versus Dubeck's two knights; (2) Nolan had two unconnected passed pawns on the queenside, while only one of Dubeck's three pawns on the kingside was passed and not as far advanced as Nolan's d-pawn; (3) Dubeck's knights were on the kingside, unable to aid his king in stopping Nolan's passers.

How this position arose is unknown to me.