Thursday, March 20, 2008

Mistaken Identity


It was a case of mistaken identity when I wrote that Howard Stern was accompanied by Beth Ostrosky during his visit to the Marshall Chess Club on January 27th. In fact, the woman in question was Howard's daughter Emily.

Here is how the error took place. During my third round game against Alice Dong, I noticed Howard standing in the tournament room observing the contests. Looking back over my shoulder, I saw a brunette watching my Philidor Counter Gambit against Dong.

After the game, when Howard and Emily had left, I asked an international master if that really had been Howard Stern in the downstairs room. Howard looks different without his sunglasses! The IM said that indeed it was and that the woman was Beth, whose last name I had difficulty in understanding. The IM mentioned that Beth's last name was similar to that of chess player Alex Ostrovskiy who often participates in club events.

When I got home, I did a Google search on Howard Stern and Beth and obtained her last name Ostrosky. But now that I see the above picture, I realize that the mystery woman was Emily Stern and not Beth Ostrosky. Sorry about the confusion!