Thursday, December 11, 2008

No Photographic Memory


Before the start of the ICA Early Winter 2008 Open on Sunday, I showed NM Arthur Feuerstein this photo from the mobile web browser on my cell phone. I asked Feuerstein if he was the passenger, as I had guessed, sitting next to Bobby Fischer.

He took one look and said, "That's not me!" Feuerstein remembers riding the subway with Fischer on several occasions, most notably the time when Arthur accompanied Bobby to his home in Brooklyn, but does not recall ever being photographed with Fischer on the train.

Not only that, Arthur added, "I'm ten years older than Fischer," which was a slight exaggeration because it is actually 7 years and nearly 3 months. But Feuerstein's point was that the passenger on the subway looks to be younger, not older, than Fischer.